Hours: Full time
Business Group: National Library
Branch: Information and Knowledge Services
Are you interested creating metadata that will help people discover the treasures of the National Library of New Zealand?
We re looking for a Collection Description Librarian to join the cataloguing teams of the National Library of New Zealand, with a focus on cataloguing serials.
As a Collection Description Librarian, you will make a big difference to how people access and use the published collections of the National Library and Alexander Turnbull Library by creating accurate descriptions of resources acquired for these collections.
In return you will be trained to create high quality bibliographic metadata for a range of formats using international standards, giving you a solid foundation for future work in the library metadata space a space which is currently shifting in new and exciting ways.
To succeed in this role you will:
* Be interested in how bibliographic description, subject analysis and authority control help people find the things they re interested in
* Be keen to develop skills in this area
* Be committed to enhancing access to resources in te reo by assigning terms from the Ngā Upoko Tukutuku/Māori Subject Headings
* Be curious, and unafraid to ask questions
* Demonstrate an ability to analyse and summarise content effectively
* Be comfortable with technology and interested in how we can use it to help make the library s collections more discoverable
* Have an enthusiasm for learning and be quick to pick up new skills
* Enjoy problems solving and nutting things out
* Have an eye for detail
* Enjoy working in a team developing strong peer relationships
* A degree and a recognised library qualification, the minimum being the Level 5 Diploma in Information and Library Studies from the Open Polytechnic of New Zealand, OR
* Professional Registration through LIANZA, OR
* An equivalent combination of qualifications, training and experience, approved by the Director of Content Services (this could apply if you are currently studying towards your library qualification).
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We recognise a diverse workforce contributes to better business outcomes. We are committed to creating a workplace where all employees have equal access.
If you want to join a supportive team who are committed to excellence, we would very much like to hear from you.
To learn more about the diverse, important mahi we do at Te Tari Taiwhenua and see why we’re a great place to work, click here.
We work to make New Zealand better for New Zealanders through our four outcome areas:
Applications close: 5om, Wednesday 26 February 2020
For more information please contact: Kim Gutchlag, Manager, Collection Development and Description at Kim.Gutchlag@dia.govt.nz
Job description: To review the full job description, please click here. If you are unable to follow the link, please review the full job description on our careers website.