negotiable / month
- Job Type: Ongoing – Full Time
- Location: Wellington – Wairarapa
- Date Advertised: 07-NOV-18
- Job Reference: NZ/1366163
- Job Title: Advisor Office for Disability Issues (New Zealand Sign Language Board)
- Business Unit:
Full time and Permanent Advisor to the New Zealand Sign Language Board – Wellington
- Are you fluent in New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) and committed to the promotion of New Zealand Sign Language?
- An exciting & unique opportunity
- Make a real difference to the lives of New Zealanders
- The Office for Disability Issues is the focal point within government for the development and implementation of the New Zealand Disability Strategy (2016-26) and Disability Action Plan in order to give effect to the progressive realisation of disabled peoples’ rights and opportunities as described in the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD)
- The Office also provides secretariat support to the New Zealand Sign Language Board – organising meeting attendance, taking minutes, developing papers for the Board, and supporting the Board’s work programme to maintain and promote NZSL through the NZSL Strategy and the NZSL fund.
- The Office sits within the Policy group of MSD
About the Role
The Advisor (NZSL) will work with the Senior Advisor (NZSL) to support the NZSL Board promoting cross Government implementation of the New Zealand Sign Language Strategy. The New Zealand Disability Strategy , the Disability Action Plan and the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) provides the context and The role involves working in close partnership with both the Disability sector and Government agencies and the provision of high quality information and advice on issues affecting disabled people.
To be successful in the role, you will work effectively with the Senior Advisor, the NZSL Board and:
- Be fluent in New Zealand Sign Language and have good knowledge of the Deaf community
- Be organised, efficient and adaptable
- Have good written communication skills
- Provide effective support to the NZSL Board - including meeting organisation, report writing, minute taking, administrative support for the Board, support for implementing the NZSL Board Strategy.
- Support the promotion of the NZSL Strategy across Government agencies
- Liaise closely with the NZSL Board Chair, Board members and stakeholders
- Monitor the use of and management of the NZSL fund application and the allocation process
- Attend NZSL Board meetings.
We welcome applications from people with a lived experience of disability with the skills and experience listed above.
The Ministry of Social Development (MSD) is one of the lead agencies for the social sector. We help the Government to set priorities across the sector, co-ordinate the actions of other social sector agencies and track changes in the social wellbeing of New Zealanders.
How to Apply
Internal MSD Employees – please apply through your myHR portal at work. This will ensure that your myHR employee profile is visible as an internal candidate.
External applicants (including Oranga Tamariki, Ministry for Children employees) – please apply through the apply button and upload your CV and cover letter to our applicant tracking system.
All applications must be made online. If this is not possible or if you have any questions please contact us via email at email@example.com
Your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience and capability relates to the competencies listed in the position description.
Applications close: 30 November 2018