negotiable / month
- Job Type: Casual
- Category: Other
- Location: Wellington
- Date Advertised: 26-FEB-20
- Job Reference: MFE/1453225
- Job Title: Board member – Environmental Protection Authority
- Business Unit:
- Do you want to play an important role in protecting Aotearoa New Zealand’s environment and the people who live and work in it?
- Do you have well-rounded experience in business and corporate governance?
- Do you have a strong understanding of regulatory systems, financial management or organisational change?
The Ministry for the Environment is seeking people to fill one vacancy on the Board of the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA). This appointment will take place in June 2020 for a term of up to three years beginning in July 2020.
Applicants should have some or all of the following competencies:
- strong skills in governance, organisational change and growth
- knowledge of Aotearoa New Zealand’s environmental management system
- an understanding of Aotearoa New Zealand’s economy and the linkages with good environmental management
- knowledge and experience relating to Te Tiriti o Waitangi and tikanga Māori
- an understanding of the administration of environmental and risk management frameworks
- familiarity with central government processes.
Ideally, candidates will also have expertise relating to one or more of the following:
- experience working on boards of regulatory entities or experience with navigating regulatory systems
- financial experience, with the ability to communicate both basic and complex financial details to their peers in a clear manner
- knowledge of compliance, monitoring and enforcement
- strategic knowledge on wider environmental issues to help the EPA focus on what is important.
About the EPA Board
- The EPA has consenting and regulatory functions under the Resource Management Act 1991, the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996, the Climate Change Response Act 2002 and the Exclusive Economic Zone and Continental Shelf (Environmental Effects) Act 2012.
- A Board of eight members ensures that the EPA meets the obligations of the Environment Protection Authority Act 2011.
- Board members are usually appointed for terms of up to three years.
- Additionally, the Board may appoint members with the appropriate background and availability to sit on decision-making committees (for example, for marine consent applications).
- Additional information on the EPA and its Board is attached for your information.
How to apply
Please click on the apply button below. For enquiries about the position, you can contact Gordon Tan (Gordon.Tan@mfe.govt.nz, 021 060 0958). Applications close 9am Monday, 9 March 2019. Shortlisting will take place in March.