Commercial Manager – Ka Ora Ka Ako | Healthy Lunches in Schools Programme
• Make a meaningful difference and be part of something big!
• A commercial management role with a direct line of sight to improving children’s wellbeing, development, and learning
• Fixed term contract – 18 months
Kia ora, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Fakatalofa atu, Kia orana, Malo e lelei, Malo ni, Talofa lava, Tena koutou katoa and welcome.
Help shape the future of Education
At the Ministry of Education, we work together to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes.
Our organisation is made up of more than 3,000 talented and committed people around New Zealand, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person, and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
Our Procurement teams sit across both the Business Enablement and Support (BE&S) and Education Infrastructure Service (EIS) groups. Our teams deliver well-connected, efficient, and effective services that enable our people to do their best work every day.
We work across the Ministry of Education and with the education sector to ensure critical capabilities and infrastructure are in place so together we can make a bigger difference for more students.
About this role
We’re looking for a Commercial Manager who has passion and drive to be part of something big and contribute to a programme that is making a meaningful difference to New Zealand children every day.
The recently expanded Ka Ora Ka Ako | Healthy Lunches in Schools Programme was first announced by the Prime Minister in August 2019 as part of the Government’s Child and Youth Wellbeing Strategy.
The Programme aims to reduce food insecurity by providing access to a nutritious lunch in school every day. Our name, ‘Ka Ora, Ka Ako” is about being healthy and well to be in a good place to learn.
Research indicates that reducing food insecurity:
• improves wellbeing
• supports child development and learning
• improves levels of concentration, behaviour and school achievement
• reduces financial hardship amongst families
• addresses barriers to children’s participation in education and promotes attendance at school
• boosts learners’ overall health.
This role will provide commercial management, guidance, and oversight to enhance delivery of the Ka Ora Ka Ako | Healthy Lunches in Schools Programme. The Programme has a very diverse range of suppliers, from very small to very large, with a significant annual contract value.
You will work collaboratively across the business to ensure that the Ministry and schools achieve value from our relationships with these suppliers, managing our relationships for mutual benefit and value creation and demonstrating responsible stewardship of public funds. We want to build and maintain sustainable long-term supplier relationships which deliver quality outcomes for the Ministry, schools and our tamariki.
The key priorities for this role include:
• Working with the Senior Commercial Manager (Commercial Procurement) to develop and implement our contract management and supplier relationship management framework across the Programme ensuring alignment with the Ministry’s strategic direction, and all-of-government strategy and standards.
• Exploring a broader value framework working with suppliers to develop an understanding of and leveraging operational and market dynamics ensuring that the relationships we develop with our suppliers fosters a cooperative, respectful, and productive working relationship.
• Managing internal stakeholder relationships to support and lead (as appropriate), negotiations and contract variations with suppliers.
• Supporting development of frameworks to enable the business to appropriately track and manage supplier performance and improvement, service delivery monitoring and management, issue resolution and disputes and conflicts.
• Supporting capability development to embed contract and supplier relationship management competencies within the business.
Please note there is further information in the attached Job Description.
The ability to drive change through influence as well as great relationship skills are the key attributes needed for this role. You will be able to demonstrate achievement drive, ambition, optimism and a delivery focus; to make things happen and achieve ambitious outcomes in partnership with our suppliers.
You will also offer:
• Proven experience in strategic supplier management and/or commercial contract negotiation including experience in managing high value and/or politically sensitive contracts.
• Highly developed influencing skills with an ability to operate both strategically and commercially, working with suppliers and Ministry stakeholders to manage risk and maximise value ensuring all parties get the best outcome from our supply agreements.
• Knowledge or experience of contract and performance management systems and processes supported by strong analytical, numerical, and written skills with good attention to detail.
• Customer focused – you will be dedicated to meeting and managing the expectations and requirements of our varied stakeholders.
• Procurement knowledge including MCIPS or other relevant qualification is desirable but not essential.
In return, you’ll have the opportunity to make your mark, working with a friendly, supportive and knowledgeable team to make a difference every day while developing and broadening your skills and experience.