- Job Type: Ongoing – Full Time
- Location: Canterbury
- Date Advertised: 25-FEB-20
- Job Reference: NZ/GERONTNURS
- Job Title: Gerontology Nurse Specialist
- Business Unit:
- 0.6FTE – permanent
- A clinical and professional leadership position for a senior registered nurse to support aged residential care (ARC) facilities in Canterbury
- You will be an experienced practitioner with expertise working within this specialty of gerontology and a good understanding of ARC facilities
Our Purpose: Why we do it
When you work with the Canterbury District Health Board, you’re part of something very special. We plan, fund and deliver health services to the almost 600,000 New Zealanders that live in the Canterbury region. Our primary goal is to put people at the heart of everything we do.
The Team: What we do
We support ARC staff with clinical decision making, care of complex clients, and quality initiatives that contribute to resident outcomes. Focusing on clinical client related issues, a meaningful relationship between the CDHB and individual ARC facilities is key to what we do.
The Role: Where you fit it
Reporting to the Nursing Director – Older People (Population Health), this role seeks to increase capability of ARC facilities in early identification, assessment and management of conditions, to ensure residents are well supported.
This role is for a Senior Registered Nurse to do the following:
- Provide expert nursing knowledge in the management of patient care within the defined area of specialty practice, working with the patient, family/whanau or other health professionals to provide timely nursing care to optimise outcomes
- Use advanced health assessment skills in the assessment of ARC residents and critiques own practice to maintain clinical competence
- Prescribe and evaluate advanced evidence-based nursing therapeutics, pharmacological/non-pharmacological interventions, diagnostic measures, equipment, procedures, and treatments to meet the needs of patients, families and groups, in accordance with professional preparation, institutional policies and scope of practice
- Provide senior nursing leadership for the specialty service and consultation to a broad range of hospital, community and professional groups to achieve positive outcomes for ARC residents
- Support a culture of evaluation and the ongoing quality improvement of nursing practice in ARC facilities in Canterbury
- Lead system change to improve health outcomes through evidence based practice
- Role model expert evidence based clinical practice, is seen as highly effective, progressive and knowledgeable
- Guide and support others in the speciality in their assessment, clinical decision-making, implementation, evaluation and documentation of care
Our Culture: What matters to us
Ko ngā tāngata, te mātua mahi
Putting people at the heart of all we do
Health is ultimately all about people. What’s important around here is the way we care for and respect others, the responsibility taken for delivering outcomes, and going about our work with integrity.
Belonging Here: Becoming part of our story
Being part of the Canterbury District Health Board, you will enjoy a fantastic benefits scheme, the opportunity for flexible working arrangements and ongoing focus on your career development.
If this role has sparked your interest but does not match your skills then please visit our careers website and have a look at our roles that better suit your expertise.
Apply online, or contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants will be progressed as they apply, so if this sounds like you, please apply now!