What you will do
The purpose of the Health and Safety Officer is to promote a healthy and safe working environments across the Defence Munitions management group (DMMG) by providing support to military and civilian personnel.
The work will involve a wide range of H&S related tasks including but not limited to, interpretation of H&S legislation and polices; proactively engaging with stakeholders across the organisation , investigating accidents, hazard and incident reports; under taking inspections and audits; coaching, mentoring and training personnel in H&S procedures.
What we need
You’ll have knowledge of all relevant occupational health and safety legislation, and experience in promoting a proactive health and safety culture in the workplace. You will also have excellent interpersonal and communications skills, a high level of initiative and self-motivation and a relevant tertiary qualification
Key to your success in this role is your ability to get out into the business and establish strong working relationships with both military and civilian personnel. This will enable to you to bring people on-board with ease
Occasional travel out of Auckland will be required
It would be advantageous if you have any of the following: Hazardous Substances Class 2-9 certifier, MPI Accredited persons and Transitional Facility Operator courses.
Who we are
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
This is a great opportunity to bring your own passion, knowledge and experience to NZDF. In return we encourage and support the work and life balance of our staff and have fantastic benefits including:
- 5 weeks annual leave
- Training and development opportunities
- Fully funded life insurance and income protection insurance
- Discounted health insurance
- An outstanding performing Kiwisaver scheme
How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to ‘Apply Online’, please use the links on this page. For further information, please use the Contact Us option to send an email, quoting NZDF 1810049.
Applications close at Sunday 11 November 2018 at 5pm
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided in this country continuously for at least the last five years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.