- Job Type:
- Category: Legal
- Location: Wellington City
- Date Advertised: 24-OCT-19
- Job Reference: MOJ/1423351
- Job Title: Judges Clerk to the Principal Family Court Judge, Wellington
- Business Unit:
Judge’s Clerk to the Principal Family Court Judge, Wellington
The Ministry of Justice invites applications for the position of Judge’s Clerk to the Principal Family Court Judge (“Principal Judge”). The position offers graduates the opportunity to work closely for up to three years with the Principal Judge, gaining insight into the judicial process and broad exposure to the administration of the District Court of New Zealand generally and the Family Court in particular.
This role would suit a recent graduate who is interested in Family law and is looking to advance their legal career.
The successful applicant will have:
- LLB degree with excellent academic achievement, particularly in Family law. Electives such as Youth Justice, evidence, civil procedure, and Māori legal studies are desirable
- Knowledge of the Family Court jurisdiction including the rules and provisions under the Family Court Rules 2002, the Family Court Act 1980, the Care of Children Act 2004, the Domestic Violence Act 1995 and the Oranga Tamariki Act 1989. • Knowledge of tikanga Māori and beginner to advanced competency in te reo Māori
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- A high level of judgment
- The ability to work independently and without supervision
- The ability to cope with changing demands and meet tight deadlines • Experience within the operations of the Family Court will be an advantage, but it is not necessary
The Judge’s Clerk will:
- Provide legal, operational and administrative support to the Principal Family Court Judge and provide assistance to other Judges as approved by the Principal Judge;
- Assist with projects relating to the administration of the Family Court, including the provision of legal advice on operational matters relevant to the Family Court Judiciary;
- Keep up to date with changes in the common law and legislation relevant to the Family Court. This may include writing and circulating explanatory memoranda either at the request of the Principal Judge or on own initiative;
- Research for and assist with preparation of Law Commission and Select Committee submissions, conferences, papers and speeches;
- Respond to legal and procedural queries, including external queries and those that relate to judgments not published on the District Courts website;
- Obtain judgments, legislation and articles as requested; and
- Produce and publish a regular newsletter for all Family Court Judges
The successful applicant will be expected to commence work on 6 January 2020. If you wish to apply for this position please include your University Transcript in your application pack and a copy of a recent legal opinion, thesis, essay or memorandum you have completed. Please note, the words of this opinion, thesis, essay or memorandum should not exceed 1500 words.
Salary range: $ 47687-$62956
The Ministry of Justice is committed to equal opportunity in all our employment policies and procedures. All staff- regardless of gender, race, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, religious or ethical beliefs have access to equal employment opportunities, in recruitment, training and career opportunities and conditions of employment.
To apply, click the Apply button below to be directed to our Careers Website. You can view a detailed position description at the site, as well as complete an online application form by attaching your CV and cover letter.
For tracking purposes, all applications must be submitted via our online process.
Applications close Friday 8 November 2019.