Mental Health – Allied Health Professional/ Southern Rivers Community Mental Health

  • Company:
    Govt NZ Jobs
  • Location:
  • Salary:
    negotiable / month
  • Job type:
  • Posted:
    2 months ago
  • Category:
    Govt Jobs
  • Job Type: Fixed Term Contract
  • Category:
  • Location: Southland
  • Date Advertised: 06-NOV-19
  • Job Reference: NZ/060047SS
  • Job Title: Mental Health – Allied Health Professional/ Southern Rivers Community Mental Health
  • Business Unit:
  • Division:
  • Summary:


  • Fixed-term to 1 March 2021 – full-time (1.0 FTE)
  • Make a difference to our rural communities
  • Affordable housing / easy lifestyle

Are you an allied health professional looking for a fixed-term opportunity in mental health?

About the role

We have a fixed term vacancy for an Allied Health Professional, experienced in working with patients with serious mental illness in a community setting. Within this position you will be responsible for case management, assessing, maintaining and managing clinical risk.

While this position is based in Gore, the Southern Rivers team also works across the Clutha District.

About you

To be successful in this role (ideally you will have community and / or recent acute inpatient experience, however this isn’t absolutely necessary) and the ability to meet the demands of a busy workload to a high standard. You will have previously demonstrated a commitment to best practice standards and your model of practice will be inclusive of the seven Real Skills of Let’s get real ( You will also hold a strong sense of ‘self’, a positive ‘can do’ attitude and a commitment to working cohesively in a dynamic multidisciplinary team.

You will also be required to take part in an after-hours on-call roster and undertake training to qualify as a Duly Authorised Officer under the Mental Health Act. Remuneration for these duties is in addition to the usual salary scale for the role.

This is an exciting opportunity to join a Community Mental Health Team in a rural setting that offers an excellent work/life balance and access to the great outdoors. Affordable housing available in Gore must attract if you are looking to relocate.

You should be a New Zealand Registered Health Professional with a current APC – Occupational Therapist or Social Worker and hold a full NZ driver’s licence.

The location

Gore – located between two main cities, Invercargill and Dunedin – boasts a central point to some of Southlands best natural landscapes while offering a fantastic lifestyle with affordable living. It’s what we like to call ‘rural city living’.

Now is a great time to relocate to Southern if you were considering a move! The Southern district offers the benefits of excellent amenities, first class primary through to tertiary education, affordable housing and outstanding recreational opportunities. Whether it’s kayaking or sailing; skiing, hunting or fishing; theatre, live-music or art – there’s literally something for everyone. Check out for what the region and we can offer you and your whanau.

About the Southern DHB

We are responsible for planning, funding and providing health and disability services to a population of over 315,000 located South of the Waitaki River. Our catchment area encompasses Invercargill City, Queenstown – Lakes District, Gore, rural Southland, Clutha, Central Otago, Maniototo, Waitaki District and Dunedin City. This means Southern DHB serves the largest geographic region of all New Zealand’s health boards.

Closing date: Sunday, 24 November 2019.

Please note that we may begin shortlisting as we receive applications and could withdraw the advertising at any time.

For further information please contact Caroline Godfrey, Recruitment Advisor – Mental Health, Addiction and Intellectual Disability Directorate (MHAID), Phone (03) 214 5769or Email

Children’s Act 2014

Due to this position having contact with children and the SDHB’s commitment to child protection, you will be subject to ‘safety checks’ under the Children’s Act at the time of hire and thereafter as per the relevant legislation.

To apply

We only accept online applications. Please apply via our website: