negotiable / month
- Job Type: Ongoing – Full Time
- Location: Wellington – Wairarapa
- Date Advertised: 06-OCT-20
- Job Reference: NZ/MD2010
- Job Title: Policy Advisor
- Business Unit:
(Two plus years experience in a policy environment
Appointment will be made in the salary range $97k-$115k-$138k, depending on experience and skills)
Electricity is a foundation for modern life, wellbeing and the economy. The Electricity Authority is the kaitiaki of electricity. Our purpose is to enhance New Zealanders’ lives, prosperity & environment through electricity.
Our strategic ambitions represent the Authority’s aspirations for the sector:
- We want consumer centricity to guide regulation and the industry
- We want low-emissions energy to electrify the economy
- We want to build trust and confidence in the industry for all stakeholders
- We want to see thriving competition delivering better outcomes for New Zealanders
- We want to see innovation flourishing.
If you want to make a difference through public policy, we want to hear from you.
When you choose to work in the Market Design group at the Electricity Authority you’ll join a successful team focused on issues that matter to consumers: Will the lights stay on? Do consumers have a choice? Are prices reasonable? Is innovation happening?
Our work is diverse, with opportunities to shape thinking and drive change across the electricity sector to improve the lives of New Zealanders.
Working for us will see you out engaging directly with industry, senior managers and fronting advice to a sophisticated and experienced Board.
We’re looking for several Policy Advisors to help deliver on our exciting work. Some of the areas you might be working on include:
- Ensuring electricity market settings and conditions support an efficient transition to low-emissions energy, through competition, while maintaining reliability.
- Shaping the tertiary legislation that sets the rules for a multi-billion-dollar industry fundamental to New Zealand’s social, cultural, environmental and economic wellbeing.
- Ensuring financial and risk markets operate effectively to support the efficient operation of the industry.
- Reviewing the security and resilience of New Zealand’s electricity sector in response to technological advances.
- Making it easier for consumers to shop around and get better deals for their electricity using a behavioural insights approach.
We are looking for:
- Enthusiastic policy professionals, who thrive in a fast-paced environment and working in partnership with stakeholders, and with strong thinking skills.
- People who can self-start, who have the self-assurance to work in a complex and ambiguous operating environment, and who take ownership of their work to deliver results.
- People with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
In return, we will:
- Prioritise your wellbeing and professional development with opportunities to front your advice to the Chief Executive and the Board.
- Provide opportunities to work on and steer a broad range of fascinating policy problems.
- Offer a flexible working environment and competitive salary.