negotiable / month
- Job Type:
- Category: Science/Environment
- Location: Invercargill
- Date Advertised: 04-MAR-20
- Job Reference: DOC/400/8360TI3
- Job Title: Ranger, Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre, (Temporary), Operations Group, Te Anau,
- Business Unit:
- Following the recent storm damage in Fiordland, the Visitor Centre still open and requires urgent additional support
- We are looking for 2-3 customer focused individuals to join us deliver conservation, recreation and crucial safety messaging to enhance visitor experiences
- March – April 9th Duration. ASAP start date
Are you currently located in or near Te Anau with a comprehensive understanding of the area and previous experience in visitor management/customer service?
Following the recent storm damage in Fiordland, the Visitor Centre is open as usual as well as some of the team delivering amendments to Milford Track Bookings. This has created opportunity for extra support in our busy Visitor Centre.
The role would suit someone with an interest in dynamic public interactions, promoting our recreational opportunities in our largest National Park and enjoys talking about conservation and all the things that make New Zealand special for our visitors.
Day to day duties include:
- Providing visitors with information on recreational activities in Fiordland and the surrounding areas, in person, as well as via phone and email
- Support visitors checking in to experience Great Walks on the Milford, Kepler and Routeburn tracks.
- Promote and sell conservation retail merchandise
- Promote DOC’s work in the area such as Takahe, Kakapo and Bat work and Punanga Manu o Te Anau – Te Anau Bird Sanctuary
- Share stories and heritage insights from the area with visitors.
In order to be considered you must have:
- Great communication skills, and enjoy engaging with the public
- The ability to connect with a diverse range of visitors from around the world
- To enjoy a varied and energetic work environment in a large team
- Be able to try out a variety of tasks and be willing to learn as they go
- Good walking shoes to enjoy this beautiful location in their free time!
- A good understanding of the area
- A good understanding of the outdoors and conservation
- Computer savvy, you must have a good understanding of Microsoft office as you will be required to process transactions and bookings
This role is based in Te Anau. Given the urgency of support required, applications will be considered as they are received. If you are interested and available to start, don’t delay and apply today! Please note: We do not have a specified end date for applications. Applications will close when the vacant positions are filled.
The successful applicants will be required for an average of 40 hours per week on a rostered basis.