- Job Type:
- Category: Ranger
- Location: Whangarei
- Date Advertised: 25-JAN-21
- Job Reference: DOC/400/1494/1
- Job Title: Ranger, Freshwater Pests and Migratory Fish Species
- Business Unit:
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Department as a Ranger specialising in freshwater pests and migratory fish species.
This an excellent opportunity to contribute towards our ambition to contain and halt the impact of freshwater pests, and ensure the security of three migratory fish species; longfin eel/tuna (Anguilla dieffenbachii), shortjaw kōkopu (Galaxias postvectis), and īnanga (Galaxias maculatus).
He angitūtanga: About the Role
As our next Ranger, Freshwater Pest and Migratory Fish Species, you will lead the Department’s freshwater biosecurity and migratory fish work for our Northern North Island Region. You will be responsible for the planning, delivering and reporting on the freshwater pest and migratory fish (3 species) work programmes. You will also lead the building and sustaining of our internal and external partnerships to ensure we achieve our key work objectives.
He kōrero mōu: What we are looking for
- A passion for applied freshwater conservation with a minimum of three years’ specialist/practical expertise in freshwater species management, freshwater biosecurity, habitat restoration and/or resource management (A relevant tertiary qualification is desirable)
- Experience with the planning, delivery and reporting of operational projects
- A work style that focuses on driving and maintaining momentum
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship-building skills, and proven ability to successfully deliver projects in collaboration with Tangata Whenua and a range of partners
- Ability to work with ambiguity
- Demonstrated skill in working with experts to understand technical advice
- Willingness to travel
- Current full driving licence required
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What’s in it for you?
- A fantastic supportive and collaborative working environment. Being the multiple award winner of the most attractive employer in the public sector (and second overall) with an average turnover beyond 10 years, we know people generally really enjoy working with us!
- We offer flexible working options, the ability to sometimes work from home or slightly adjust regular business hours as long as the work gets done.
- The chance to join a large organisation that’s still growing. DOC has been undergoing a steady period of growth, we highly value the new expertise and fresh perspectives brought into the organisation. This is your chance to contribute to our culture of continuous improvement.
- Excellent development opportunities across the department.
- The opportunity to work and play in the winterless North – home to, Kauri forest, beautiful offshore islands and coastlines along with a fantastic track network and great campsites.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory – this includes holding a valid work visa that covers the whole period of employment.
Please apply online via the DOC Careers Centre with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the requirements above.
For any enquiry, please contact Carol Nicholson, firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0272461579, quoting vacancy 400/1494.
Applications close at 5pm, on Monday, 15 February 2021.
DOC is committed to a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture.