negotiable / month
- Job Type:
- Category: Ranger
- Location: Aoraki Mt Cook
- Date Advertised: 29-OCT-18
- Job Reference: DOC/400/7540TE
- Job Title: Ranger, (Temporary), Visitor Centre, Interpretation and Campground, Operations, Aoraki/Mt Cook
- Business Unit:
This is a fixed term role for 6 months
We have a vacancy for an enthusiastic Visitor Centre, Interpretation and Campground Ranger to join our team over the busy summer season.
Be part of bringing New Zealand’s recreation, historic and natural heritage to life for every visitor.
As a Visitor Centre, Interpretation and Campground Ranger, based in Aoraki/Mount Cook, you will be part of a great team focused on delivering excellence in customer service. Your role involves ensuring an excellent visitor experience is provided for all domestic and international visitors; through
- providing visitors with up to date information about recreational opportunities locally and throughout the country, local conservation projects, current and forecast weather, condition of tracks and huts, and transport available locally
- promoting and selling national and local conservation recreation opportunities including concessionaires, DOC and other related operators
- promoting and selling conservation merchandise and the core range of products within your centre
- ensuring branding opportunities are maximised and national campaigns are promoted e.g. Conservation Week
- ensuring storytelling and interpretation are concise, truly functional, relevant and up to date where possible using technology to tell these stories
- assisting with emergency work when required
- assisting with campground duties during the summer months, this includes:
- ensuring campground fee compliance at the White Horse Hill Campground
- ensuring campground services and associated facilities are cleaned daily and maintained to a high standard
The ideal applicant will have:
- Problem solving abilities, initiative, and a positive ‘can-do’ attitude
- Enjoy interacting with the public and willing to clean public facilities (including toilets)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to maintain high standards while working under pressure
- Responsible and reliable team player
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to change
- Understanding of recreation and tourism opportunities throughout New Zealand and knowledge of conservation or recreational activities available in the Aoraki/Mount Cook area
- Experience/demonstrated competence in customer service, cash handling and computer skills
- Current First Aid Certificate and a valid Driver’s Licence
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory, including a valid work visa covering the whole period of employment if applying internationally.
Please apply online. Applications must include a cover letter, CV and evidence of the required capabilities as per the role description.
For more information please contact Jacob Fleming, firstname.lastname@example.org, 03 435 1186, quoting vacancy 400/7500T.
Applications close at 5pm on Monday, 12 November 2018.
DOC is committed to a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture.