negotiable / month
- Job Type:
- Category: Ranger
- Location: Stewart Island
- Date Advertised: 24-JAN-20
- Job Reference: DOC/400/8672I
- Job Title: Ranger – Visitor Centre, (.75FTE), Operations Group, Rakiura/Stewart Island
- Business Unit:
We want to make the great outdoors the ultimate experience for every visitor. DOC’s visitor centres are the gateway to public conservation land, providing visitors with information and access to experiences that will last a lifetime. Be part of bringing New Zealand’s recreation, historic and natural heritage to life for every visitor who visits Rakiura!
As a Visitor Centre Ranger in the Rakiura National Park Visitor Centre, based on Stewart Island/Rakiura, you will be part of a great team focused on delivering outstanding customer service.
Your role is wide and varied yet primarily involves ensuring an excellent visitor experience is provided for all domestic and international visitors, through:
- Informing visitors of conservation work being undertaken on the island as well as inspiring and engaging visitors to contribute to local and wider conservation initiatives.
- Providing visitors with up to date information about recreational opportunities locally and throughout the country
- Informing visitors of local conservation projects, condition of tracks and huts and matching their skills and experiences to appropriate opportunities available
- Promoting and selling conservation merchandise
- Ensuring branding opportunities are maximised and national campaigns are promoted e.g. Conservation Week, Volunteer week
- Ensuring story telling and interpretation are concise, truly functional, relevant, up to date and where possible using technology to tell these stories
- Supporting our field teams with safety procedures
The successful applicant’s key requirements
- A genuine interest in conservation and an active interest in outdoor pursuits.
- An understanding of recreation and tourism opportunities throughout New Zealand and knowledge of conservation or recreational activities available in the Southland area
- Experience and demonstrated competence in customer service, computer skills, sales and retail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to maintain high standards while working under pressure
Along with recently being awarded New Zealand’s second most attractive employer (first in the public service!) people like working for us because we offer:
- A supportive and collaborative work environment
- Respect, recognition and opportunities for personal growth
- Excellent employee wellbeing initiatives including the employee assistance program and discounted insurance
- Job satisfaction from contributing to crucial and meaningful work
If this position is of interest then we would definitely like to hear from you. We would encourage you to contact us to learn more about this position prior to submitting your application.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory, including a valid work visa covering the whole period of employment if applying internationally.
For more information please contact Diana Morris- firstname.lastname@example.org telephone (03) 2190009
Please apply online via the DOC Careers Centre. Applications must include a cover letter, CV and evidence of the required capabilities as per the role description
Applications close at 5pm on Monday, 17 February 2020.
DOC is committed to a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture.