We want to make the great outdoors the ultimate experience for every visitor. DOC’s visitor centres are the gateway to public conservation land, providing visitors with information and access to experiences that will last a lifetime. Be part of bringing New Zealand’s recreation, historic and natural heritage to life for every visitor who visits Rakiura!
He angitūtanga: About the Role
As a Visitor Centre Ranger in the Rakiura National Park Visitor Centre, based on Stewart Island/ Rakiura, you will be part of a great team focused on delivering outstanding customer service. This is a ixed term postion for 20 weeks, working 25 hours per week.
Your role is wide and varied yet primarily involves ensuring an excellent visitor experience is provided for all domestic and international visitors; through:
• Providing visitors with up to date information about recreational opportunities locally and throughout the country.
• Informing visitors of local conservation projects, condition of tracks and huts and matching their skills and experiences to appropriate opportunities available.
• Promoting and selling conservation merchandise.
• Ensuring branding opportunities are maximised and national campaigns are promoted e.g. Conservation Week, Volunteer week
• Ensuring story telling and interpretation are concise, truly functional, relevant, up to date and where possible using technology to tell these stories.
• Supporting our field teams with safety procedures.
He kōrero mōu: What we are looking for
The ideal applicant will have:
• An enthusiasm and active interest in outdoor pursuits and conservation
• An understanding of recreation and tourism opportunities throughout New Zealand and knowledge of conservation or recreational activities available in the Southland area
• Experience and demonstrated competence in customer service, computer skills, sales and retail
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to maintain high standards while working under pressure
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What’s in it for you?
We provide a fantastic supportive and collaborative working environment. Being the multiple award winner of the most attractive employer in the public sector (and second overall) with an average turnover beyond 10 years, we know people generally really enjoy working with us!
The chance to join a large organisation. DOC has been undergoing a steady period of growth, we highly value the new expertise and fresh perspectives brought into the organisation. This is your chance to contribute to our culture of continuous improvement.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory – this includes holding a valid work visa that covers the whole period of employment.
Please apply online via the DOC Careers Centre with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the requirements above.
For any enquiry, please contact Andrew King, email@example.com, or telephone (027) 3220796 quoting vacancy TEMP 400/8670.
Applications close at 5pm Tuesday, 27th October 2020.
DOC is committed to a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture. We offer a range of flexible working options depending on the needs of the role and its work context.