- Job Type: Ongoing – Full Time
- Location: Wellington – Wairarapa
- Date Advertised: 02-FEB-20
- Job Reference: NZ/31904
- Job Title: Residential Youth Worker – Oranga Tamariki
- Business Unit:
Residential Youth Worker – Oranga Tamariki
Epuni Care and Protection Residence, Lower Hutt
Can you provide positive engagement, role-modelling and motivation for at-risk rangatahi and demonstrate resilience, maturity, reliability, honesty and common-sense? Do you want to work rostered shifts – 6am – 2.30pm, 2pm – 10.30pm or 10pm to 6.30am, weekends or public holidays? If this ticks all your boxes, then we have a great opportunity for you.
What you will bring?
• A full, clean, valid driver’s licence
• Meet the Vulnerable Children’s Act safety checking and our vetting requirements
• A valid visa – New Zealand residency or citizenship
• Resilience, initiative and a proactive approach with a positive outlook
• Empathy, patience and ability to see past what someone may be struggling with
• A tertiary education within psychology, social sciences, social work, sports, music, arts or teaching would be an advantage
• Flexibility to work different shifts – mornings, evenings, weekends and public holidays
• Experience working with rangatahi
• Physically able to keep up with 10 teenagers
• Sound judgement with the ability to manage risk and make tough decisions
• Life experience and understanding of what rangatahi may be going through
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to your audience
• Knowledge of Tikanga and Te Reo would be a definite advantage
What you will do?
• Coach rangatahi through our structured day and through all life necessities
• Participate in physical activity with our young people by playing sports and taking part in gym activities
• Support our rangatahi by helping them with their studies, teaching them life skills such as cooking, art, music and cultural programmes and mentor them to make positive life choices
• Build rapport with rangatahi who have experienced trauma and assist with redirecting behaviour
Whats on offer?
• A competitive salary between $44,157 and $64,769
• Work/life balance
• Training and career development opportunities
• Rewarding and challenging work that makes a difference to the community
Who are we?
Our tamariki and rangatahi deserve to feel safe, have their voices heard, and be surrounded by loving whānau. At Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, we’re on a journey to ensure that it happens. We are a leading social work practice that is child-centred, trauma-informed, and effective for all cultures.
How to apply?
Apply online with your CV and cover letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please apply through your myHR portal. For further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org