negotiable / month
- Job Type: Ongoing – Full Time
- Location: Wellington – Wairarapa
- Date Advertised: 24-FEB-20
- Job Reference: NZ/1451998
- Job Title: Senior Communications Advisor Media
- Business Unit:
If you’re looking for your “why”, then come and join us at Tertiary Education Commission (TEC). We truly believe in the transformational benefits of education and vocational training and as a result we invest $3 billion a year in tertiary education and training, and seek to lift the aspirations and skill s of all New Zealanders from ages 7 to 70+.
We’re building an awesome Strategic Communications Team to proactively tell our story.
However, we’re missing a star player – an experienced senior media and comms advisor who has the experience and credibility to work with internal stakeholders, journalists, influencers and partners to find engaging, newsworthy stories to tell across a range of platforms.
This will be the role for you if you love the buzz of being a media advisor, are calm under pressure when managing media issues and can dig out positive stories to share.
What will you be doing?
- Providing best-practice and strategic advice to Tec leaders and all staff on media approaches and media management.
- Building and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, journalists, commentators and influencers.
- Finding effective and imaginative ways of communicating the difference TEC can make across a range of channels including use of video and images.
- Finding good news stories which demonstrate TEC’s priorities and messages, and disseminating them to journalists, stakeholders and our people in an engaging way.
- Taking a calm, thorough and planned approach to issues management, bringing your knowledge of the political, media and cultural landscape to the table.
- Supporting proactive external comms and stakeholder engagement; including corporate comms, speeches and content creation.
What will you bring to the role?
- Demonstrable experience of working in the media or media relations, with a good knowledge and understanding of the media, cultural and political landscape. This will include excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to simplify complex ideas and content without losing meaning.
- A friendly, confident personality balanced with calm professionalism and strong interpersonal skills – including the ability to influence and persuade.
- The ability to adapt styles to suit different channels and audiences and a creative attitude to problem solving and content creation.
- Ability to work at pace when needed and remain calm under pressure.
What will you get in return?
- $86k – $100k+ depending on experience.
- An opportunity to work in a friendly, supportive team whose shared purpose is to use our comms to inspire people – be they our stakeholders, staff or students.
How to apply:
To apply, click the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and submit your CV and Cover Letter outlining your suitability.
Applications close 15 March 2020.
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact HR@tec.govt.nz
The TEC is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion.