About New Zealand Blood Service
New Zealand Blood Service (NZBS) has sole responsibility for collecting, processing and distributing blood in New Zealand. Through the generosity of our donors, we are able to help save lives through our blood, blood products and other services. At the end of the day, you know that you’ve contributed in some way to making a difference in someone’s life.
Our shared values are at the heart of our organisation’s culture and guide our behaviour each and every day. They inspire us, motivate us and drive us to provide the very best service to the New Zealand public.
If you would like to be part of a dynamic and growing team, whose contribution will positively impact Kiwi lives and make a real difference, apply now.
About the role
As a Team Leader – Cellular Therapies and Tissue Banking Laboratory, you will be responsible for leading the sole, national laboratory team based in Auckland. This team is responsible for providing HPC processing and storage of stem cells, as well as tissue retrieval, processing and storage. NZBS is currently expanding its accountability in this area and is building a new clean room facility in Auckland to support this anticipated growth. The work the Cellular Therapies and Tissue Banking team does is essential to ensuring we that provide safe products within a regulated environment that save lives on a daily basis.
Reporting to the National Manager Cellular Therapies and Tissue Banking you would be responsible for:
• Providing a high and effective level of leadership to a team of out – performing and dedicated technical staff through decisions made and the direction given in the delivery of services provided.
• Continually monitoring and improving systems, processes, efficiency and the quality of products and services provided.
• Overseeing the laboratory infrastructure and equipment that is integral to maintaining functioning clean rooms, liquid nitrogen storage and laboratory space. These include the plant, equipment and alarms.
• Providing professional and effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ensuring all activities are carried out in a manner that complies with defined quality standards e.g. FACT accreditation, GMP and Medsafe licensing, and legislative requirements.
• The development and maintenance of effective relationships with internal and external customers.
• Managing some important business improvement initiatives and change management projects as we continue to extend the responsibilities and roles of the Cellular Therapies and Tissue Banking team.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
• A strong focus on people leadership and enjoy engaging and motivating your team to be successful
• Have significant experience in a health care, pharmaceutical, patient services or similar environment
• Knowledge and experience in biologics, medical devices manufacturing or clean room/ aseptic environments, ideally with experience in stem cell processing and/ or tissue banking
• Able to demonstrate excellent communication, planning and organizational skills with an attention to detail.
• Science diploma or degree (or equivalent) in a medical, pharmaceutical or technical field with a tertiary qualification
So if you meet the above requirements and are looking for a challenging but rewarding people leadership role within a great team and organisation with the goal to save lives, then this role could be for you.