- Job Type: Ongoing – Full Time
- Category: Accounting & finance
- Location: Wellington
- Date Advertised: 04-FEB-21
- Job Reference: 25604
- Job Title: Team Leader – Financial Accounting
- Business Unit:
Do you want to work at the heart of Treasury Finance?
- Work alongside our policy and commercial teams to develop and deliver bespoke Government initiatives
- Develop your management, big picture, and technical accounting skills in this varied role
- Manage the reporting and forecasting for the portfolio of unique transactions managed by Treasury
Te Tai Ōhanga – The Treasury is the New Zealand Government’s lead economic and financial advisor. Our vision is to be a world-leading Treasury working towards higher living standards for New Zealanders.
The Finance team within Corporate and Shared Services provides systems, management and financial accounting advice and services to the Central Agencies. We work in our partner agencies to facilitate the achievement of business objectives and enable long term financial management and stewardship. We’re currently looking for a Team Leader – Financial Accounting so if you’re an experienced Financial Accountant who has great attention to detail and excellent Financial Management skills then this role may be for you.
This unique role will provide you with the opportunity to:
- Play an integral role in large value transactions through interpretation of financial accounting options and requirements for new policy initiatives that Vote Finance is responsible for
- Gain experience as the people manager of a small, professional team
- Develop robust systems to enable timely and accurate reporting of the initiatives, many of which will have a lengthy lifespan
- Undertake financial reporting and accounting activities to support the activities of each of the three central agencies and other shared services customers
- Interact closely with each set of auditors during the year and particularly at yearend
- Plan for the implementation of new accounting standards and procedures
- Lead continuous improvement in processes, and reporting to obtain efficiencies and increase effectiveness.
To help us achieve our goals, we are looking for someone who can bring:
- Strong technical financial accounting skills (with CAANZ membership)
- A flexibility to operate in high level strategic discussions, all the way down to maintaining detailed spreadsheets and thorough knowledge of the accuracy of the general ledger
- Proven customer and stakeholder relationship management skills
- Experience in working as part of a team providing financial services, internal and external reporting in a relevant medium or large organisation
- Experience in, or with, the public sector and a sound knowledge of the legislative framework (including the Public Finance Act) and other guidelines that apply to financial management and accounting in the government (preferable)
- Highly effective planning and organisational skills, including time management and prioritising work in a complex work environment.
We pride ourselves on the quality of our staff and understand the importance of fostering a working environment where excellence is recognised and where staff are encouraged to develop their own talents and potential. The Treasury values diversity amongst its employees and encourages a positive work life balance so talk to us about flexible working. We strive for excellence, care about what happens in New Zealand and understand what is happening in the real world.
If you’d like to know more about this opportunity, please see the Job Description or contact John Toomath, Deputy Chief Financial Officer at email@example.com.
All applications must be made online. Applications close on Sunday 14 February.