negotiable / month
- Job Type: Ongoing – Full Time
- Location: Wellington – Wairarapa
- Date Advertised: 26-FEB-20
- Job Reference: NZ/2989
- Job Title: Technical Project Manager
- Business Unit:
The Technical Project Manager (TPM) delivers complex technical change into the organisation for the benefit of its staff and students. Projects may be internal to the ICT services team or simply the coordination of the internal ICT delivery of a larger project.
The TPM works with subject matter experts (SME) and business analysts to elicit plans, forecasts, dependencies and risks for complex ICT projects and uses their experience and skills to ensure that projects are driven to completion, balancing resources, costs, quality and risks.
This role is 80% project management and coordination, 20% technical experience.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Project delivery – managing one or more ICT Technical projects, predominantly Infrastructure and enterprise application focus
- Technical planning – working with in-house and supplier SMEs to extract technical plans for assigned projects, ensuring dependencies are well understood
- Vendor management – management of key suppliers to ensure delivery against plans. Is responsible for ensuring that any potential roadblock is addressed in good time.
- Coordination of third party managed projects – acts as the go between for projects delivered by third parties, either external to the department or external to the organisation and the in-house technical SME’s. Removing roadblocks and ensuring positive direct technical relationships endure throughout projects without compromising roles and responsibilities and any contractual obligations
- Reporting and tracking – delivery of timely reports on project progress, risks, issues, finances and decisions on behalf of the project Sponsor
- ICT management team liaison – works with all ICT team leaders and managers to facilitate resourcing requirements and takes an active part in discussing staff performance
- ICT change and release management – interfaces to the change process and ensures that projects are aware of and follow change management procedures. Similarly working with Release management and operational managers to ensure that projects are handed over to support teams effectively
- Meeting host – hosts productive project and technical meetings keeping suitable actionable records
The successful applicant will be a multi-skilled team-player. A positive and focussed individual who utilises personal skills to achieve goals and a high standard of performance. Excellent stake holder relationship skills are a must as this position needs to be able to work positively as a part of a team through a complex period of change.
You should be able to demonstrate the following:
- A number of years’ experience as a technical project manager
- Experience working within technical ICT projects in a technical capacity, preferably ICT infrastructure
- Experience of BPM, process improvement practice is a bonus
- Comprehensive knowledge of change and release processes
- Experience working in tertiary education or other large industry
- Relevant qualifications (Prince, PMBOK, Agile) and/or equivalent work experience
- A good understanding of ICT infrastructure such as servers, virtualisation, cloud compute also enterprise software such as ERP systems, student management, finance or HRMS
- Your high level interpersonal skills will ensure you’re able to competently deal with conflict or competing personalities and encourage input from a diverse range of stakeholders.
The primary location for this role is our Porirua campus, but at times it may be necessary to work from our Petone or Wellington City campuses.
To view the position description and to apply for this position, please visit www.weltec.ac.nz/careers
Please ensure you follow the instructions for the job application process and complete all the sections of the online application.
For other information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Wednesday, 11 March 2020.