- Job Type: Fixed Term Contract
- Location: Wellington – Wairarapa
- Date Advertised: 01-FEB-21
- Job Reference: NZ/1510067
- Job Title: User Experience Researcher – Fixed Term
- Business Unit:
If you’re looking for your “why”, then come and join us at TEC. We truly believe in the transformational benefits of education and vocational training and as a result we invest $3 billion a year in tertiary education and training, and seek to broaden aspirations and lift the skill bases of all New Zealanders from ages 7 to 74.
The TEC internally, fellow government agencies, employers and industry are geared up for change across the careers and tertiary education systems, which is why we have a Product and Services Design Team responsible for designing system enhancing products and services. This team has the mandate to lead the design and development of products and services that will support New Zealanders making education and careers decisions throughout their lives. Therefore we are looking for a User Experience Researcher (UxR) to support our work on our exciting projects.
If you are an experienced UxR passionate about making a difference to the lives of New Zealanders – this could be the role for you!
This is a fixed term position to cover an internal secondment until January 2023.
What will you be doing?
- Working closely with a team of UX/UI designers, product owners, service designers, business analysts, content writers, marketers and developers.
- Helping design and deliver new and improved services and products that seek to broaden aspirations and lift the skill bases for New Zealanders aged from 7 to 74.
- Customer research to uncover latent needs and behaviours to ensure we fix the right problem.
- Testing concepts and prototypes with end users to identify when we are (and aren’t!) on the right track, and where we can better meet people’s needs.
- Translating the knowledge you gain from qualitative research and analytics into easily-understood actionable insights that project and product teams can use.
- Expanding your knowledge of and championing learner centricity and the power of qualitative insights across TEC.
What will you bring to the role?
- Strong qualitative research experience across a range of methodologies and tools, ranging from ethnographic research through to guerrilla user experience research and user testing.
- Excellent analysis skills: uncovering customer behaviour, their wants and needs, to ensure we are addressing the right need or opportunity.
- Experience at turning knowledge into actionable insights for project and product teams to use.
- A solid understanding of Design Thinking and Human Centered Design
- Great story telling skills – you’ll be able to bring people on the journey, understand and articulate the why behind your insights and recommendations, and help foster empathy and understanding of customers.
- Well-honed creative thinking skills to identify and suggest areas for improvement and innovation in products and services based on insights gained from research.
- Ability to form strong relationships with your team, TEC stakeholders and customers.
- A strong belief in designing for customer needs and diversity.
- At least three years’ experience working in User Experience Research.
What will you get in return?
- The opportunity to work on products and services that will have a positive impact on the lives on New Zealanders.
- Working with a vibrant and dynamic team.
- $80k – $93 depending on experience.
- The TEC offers a range of benefits including flexible working options.
As part of the application process for this role, your application is to include your covering letter and C.V. along with two examples of different qualitative research you have been involved in.
Examples should include
- The research objective: what were you trying to understand
- The approach and rationale for the approach: How did you tackle this research and why did you do it this way
- What did you learn along the way that made you more awesome at UxR
Applications close on Tuesday 16 February 2021.
If this sounds of interest, please apply now, https://jobs.govt.nz/. For enquiries only, please contact HR@tec.govt.nz. Please note you must be a NZ citizen or have permanent residency to be considered for this role