Performance Specialist-20000JC1Applicants are required to read, write, and speak the following languages:English
The key objective of this performance engineering role is to measure, monitor, report, and optimize the performance of our database cloud services for Oracle’s industry customers. This role seeks to ensure that we deliver the highest levels of performance and availability that our mission-critical computing environment demands.
This is an outstanding and unique opportunity for an experienced Oracle performance engineer to join Oracle’s industry-leading Cloud Foundation Services (CFS) global organization and take your career to the next level. In this role you will gain new skills and experience by training on and working with the latest and most advanced cloud and database technologies. In addition you will gain new skills and perspectives by practicing DevOps within Oracle.
Cloud Foundation Services offers a portfolio of services including the Micro-Services Platform (MSP), Operations Stack (OST), Database as a Service (DBaaS), and Software Delivery as a Service (SDaaS) pipeline to support high margin, highly elastic, and highly available SaaS applications running on Oracle’s next generation cloud Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI). OCI is a set of complementary cloud services that enables customers to build and run a wide range of applications and services in a highly available hosted environment in Oracle’s globally distributed data centers. Oracle Cloud Infrastructure offers high-performance compute capabilities (as physical hardware instances) and storage capacity in a flexible overlay virtual network that is securely accessible from customers on-premises network. For more information visit https://www.oracle.com/cloud/.
Cloud Foundation Services provides mission-critical cloud services for the Oracle Global Business Units (GBUs). The GBUs are dedicated vertical organizations with deep domain industry expertise that provide best-of-breed technologies to help solve the most complex business problems for Oracle’s industry customers located around the world. The GBU industry verticals include Retail, Hospitality, Food & Beverage, Communications, Health Sciences, Financial Services, Construction & Engineering, and Utilities business sectors, with each operating mission-critical applications that require 24×7 support. For more information visit https://www.oracle.com/industries/.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Conduct performance benchmarks of new releases and builds of our hardware and software to profile its performance, scalability, and reliability.
* Conduct benchmarks to strategically position our product portfolio.
* Assist our customers to resolve their performance problems.
* Proactively monitor and resolve performance events in our cloud environment.
* Write reports and publish whitepapers.
* Develop tools for performance measurement and analysis.
* Capture performance data, analyze and synthesize the results, and suggest optimizations for improving performance.
* Collaborate with product development teams and provide feedback to improve the performance and the price/performance of our services.
* Forecast capacity growth requirements.
* Plan and the execute the rebalancing operations for CDB and PDB fleet management.
* Develop sizing tools and methods.
* Develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures/documentation.
* Share knowledge with team members as needed.
* Attend weekly team meetings and participate in team building activities.
* Other duties, as assigned.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
* Experience as a performance engineer in a product development organization or within a cloud service provider.
* Expert knowledge of Oracle Database technology.
* Expert knowledge of Oracle SQL/PLSQL tuning.
* Experience with Oracle Multitenant Pluggable Databases.
* Experience with tools such as Oracle Enterprise Manager, ASH, and AWR for performance analysis and tuning.
* Strong troubleshooting skills to investigate errors and performance bottlenecks
* Advanced knowledge of server operating systems including Oracle Linux.
* Knowledge of Grafana.
* Knowledge of profiling and debugging tools preferred.
* Knowledge of a load-testing tool.
* Knowledge of server hardware.
* Knowledge of scripting languages.
* Knowledge of server virtualization technologies.
* Experience as an Oracle database administrator.
* Experience with database backup and recovery.
* Experience with Oracle’s Maximum Security Architecture.
* Experience with Oracle’s Maximum Availability Architecture.
* Experience with Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
* Experience with Oracle Exadata.
* Experience with an organization with a key 24×7 reliance on its databases.
* Experience administering databases on Exadata is a strong plus.
Desired soft skills:
* Must be a motivated, team-player with the ability to work cross-functionally with a “can-do” and “do-it-right” attitude. A self-starter who is constantly thinking of ways to improve the work.
* Strong analytical skills and attention to technical detail.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
* Excellent problem-solving skills.
* Good interpersonal skills and the ability to gain the confidence of customers.
* It is essential to be able to work well in team environments as well as working autonomously with direction. Experience of working in global virtual teams is definitely an advantage.
* A bachelor’s degree in any Engineering discipline from an accredited institution. A master’s degree is an advantage.
* Industry technical certifications are an advantage. Professional certifications in Oracle products are an advantage.
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will assist in defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, debugging or designing of software applications or operating systems. Provide technical leadership to other software developers. Specify, design and implement modest changes to existing software architecture to meet changing needs.
Duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgment. Fully competent in own area of expertise. May have project lead role and or supervise lower level personnel. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 4 years of software engineering or related experience.