Maritime New Zealand is the regulatory compliance and response agency for the safety, security and environmental protection of New Zealand’s coastal and inland waterways.
About the team:
Maritime Systems Assurance (MSA) provides high quality technical advice and assurance to internal and external stakeholders regarding international, domestic, maritime, environmental, port and harbour sector issues. MSA also provides oversight of sector participants, strategic liaison with sector groups, and assurance to the Director of Maritime New Zealand that maritime and environmental regulatory and compliance systems are effective.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Technical Advisor who can hit the ground running, providing assistance and expert advice across the MSA business group and Maritime NZ. This role will report to the Manager Environment and Human Factors Assurance. The 6 month period is to cover a period of growth and realignment in the wider team.
This includes supporting teams in the provision of advice and decision-making, building capability in areas of work and supporting the development of systems and processes to enhance decision-making.
It also includes assisting in the development of guidance and advisory material, and in the implementation of maritime rules. Assurance of maritime systems will also be a part of this role, as directed by the manager.
· Maritime qualification or relevant degree, preferably postgraduate;
· Some experience developing and delivering against budgets and programmes of work in a complex and dynamic environment;
· Experience working in a similar role advising on maritime sector Human Factors assurance;
· Ability to influence and collaborate effectively across organisational teams and with external stakeholders;
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral including good report writing skills;
· Strong analytical ability, sound judgement and robust decision-making skills;
· Ability to see the bigger picture;
· Knowledge of public sector management would be an advantage, including an understanding of an ability to undertake monitoring and reporting on strategic outcomes and performance indicators.